The Nicest Prison in the World (Photos)

This is no San Quintin. In scenic Norway one will find the most modern, aesthetically pleasing, and overall cushiest prison ever — Halden Prison. Time Magazine writes about the prison:

The cells rival well-appointed college dorm rooms, with their flat-screen TVs and minifridges. Designers chose long vertical windows for the rooms because they let in more sunlight. There are no bars. Every 10 to 12 cells share a living room and kitchen. With their stainless-steel countertops, wraparound sofas and birch-colored coffee tables, they resemble Ikea showrooms.

Inmates also have jogging trails, a sound studio, football pitch, cooking classes (actually educational opportunities of all sorts), rock climbing wall, gym, and a well appointed luxury library. There is even a nice little two bedroom house on the grounds so that inmates can have their families visit and stay the weekend – it is important they have their privacy after all.

What really gets most people though is that although there is a 20 foot high concrete retaining wall which is obscured by trees for cosmetic purposes, the prison has no bars and plenty of windows to let the light in and create a soothing environment. Guards don’t even carry guns because that could create an uneasy or hostile setting for the prisoners that retards their rehabilitation.

The idea is that by treating prisoners humanely – even if they were less than humane in regards to their victims – they can be rehabilitated and reintegrated into society. The big question is whether or not it works. That is the $250 million dollar question. Does their belief that prisons need to focus on human rights and respect actually translate to real rehabilitative change in criminals?

The mural commissioned to be painted on the prison walls was alledledly done for a cost of $1,000,000.

The library.  This is nicer then my old high school library.

Cafeteria.

Recording studio.  This is nicer than the recording studio in my apartment.

The communal kitchen.  Nice.

A bedroom like this would go for $1,500 a month in Manhattan.

Nice gym.  How about climbing a wall? Not sure if a climbing wall is a good idea in a prison?

This entry was posted in Places and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to The Nicest Prison in the World (Photos)

1. Dubstep says:

This is freaking amazing. I wonder if there’s a strict rule as far as if you mess up, you’re out and sent to a shitty jail.

• raul says:

how could criminals reform if they live in a place like that.They might as well do criminal act again just to go back to that pleasing and comfortable prison house.Prisoners are there to reform

• Guy Steele says:

As it turns out, criminals reform better in such a setting. Who would have thought that life isn’t as simple as it seems.

People don’t commit crimes because they’re not afraid of the conditions in prison, most people who commit crimes like that live on their own in such conditions anyway. People commit crimes because they’re bitter and lost hope.

• AMS says:

I completely agree! Crime & Punishment! When one does an act of crime, they deserve to be punished so that they may learn; not treated like a prince!

2. Bryan says:

What I really learned from this article is; I have absolutely no desire to ever visit Manhattan.

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention The Nicest Prison in the World (Photos) | Rarely Known -- Topsy.com

4. Me says:

If I were a criminal I would really wanna commit a crime just so I could stay at this prison. xD

5. VungVeets says:

OK this makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Wow.

• krenar says:

they look good in pic but when u get in that prison cos i been there is sick or special they daz hav to lock the rooms or even the foot or anthoer thing they hav to seprate to us ,, they daz to live a me with the guys use drugs that not good anyway prison hate to get there,,, kolas albanian hate norway prision

6. zbeast says:

wow that’s nicer than my condo that I was spending $3000.00 a month on.

7. preschool says:

this is nicer than any school around my parts!

8. Surprised says:

Wow, what do I have to do to get in?

9. Jonsi says:

looks like ikea designed it.

10. Pingback: It’s Hard to Call This a Prison

11. Pingback: links for 2010-11-14 | Acervus - Bookmarks of Interesting Things

12. Willytee says:

Nice to see that some governments still believe in rehabilitation.

• raul says:

rehabilitation?how could they reform if they live in a place like that….

• Mark Alexander says:

I agree, I’m a CO at a maximum security prison. Sometimes I wonder what anyone is gaining by continuously punishing people. They leave prison more angry and filled with hate then they came in with.
      The truth is, nobody wants to go to prison no matter how nice it is.

13. David says:

Do you think this is better or worse than “Club Fed”? (I’m sure Martha Stewart had them redecorate it…)

14. MandyB says:

what gets me is people are homeless and hungry and the government thinks spending 250 mil on a PRISON is a good way to spend TAX PAYERS money…. just think, some people work min wadge to live in a shitty apt, and their taxes are going to house criminals that live better then they do.

• R says:

Umm. . .have you been to Norway? Don’t worry. PLENTY of taxpayer dollars are going to those with minimum wage jobs and homeless people–if there even are any of either of those.

• krenar says:

maybe that true but i been there i was not homles even not drugs and the rizen i get ungry cos i ready pay the fine there and they give to me a solicitor from prison and when i get in court ,, my solicitor did talk any word ,,, they keep for not rizen even they still got my stuf ,,,, why ,,cos im a albanian us goverment is rubish seen many thing s rong there cos i been in uk prision not arguments there i was rong so not complein ,,,but in norway or the polic chek us a nudo wot the ,,f,,,k is that chek us nudo till i wass not arest for drug s and another thing i i ready pay the fine why the keep my mobile my old numbers

• James says:

wow dude. Where did u go to school? My 5yr. old can spell better then u!! I think we should give it a try here in the U.S. Who knows treat ppl how u want to b treated!

• Devil's Advocate says:

My guess James, is that English is not his first language. In that garbled mess it is clear that he was Albanian living in Norway, which would put both Albanian and Norwegian likely ahead of English. Can you or your five year old even put a sentence together in a third language? If not, I would stay away from insulting someone you don’t know over the internet.

• Rina says:

I live in Norway, and actually, there is almost no homeless people here. You get both money if you don’t have any, and an apartment if you can’t afford one. IF you live here legally. It’s like “R” says.

15. Pingback: Stuff « Nanobots Will Enslave Us All

16. Dave says:

I’d kill to be there.

17. Brie says:

What gets me is people are homeless and hungry and the government thinks spending millions of dollars on a PRISON is a good way to spend TAX PAYERS money…. just think, some people work min wadge to live in a shitty apt, and their taxes are going to house criminals that live better then they do…im so sad that the world is coming about..my apt. is okay..but that prison is much better..what are they gaining there? People like are losers: thieves, killers and rapist live in a high life better than I DO!!! What gives???

18. Brie says:

What gets me is people are homeless and hungry and the government thinks spending millions of dollars on a PRISON is a good way to spend TAX PAYERS money…. just think, some people work min wadge to live in a crappy apt, and their taxes are going to house criminals that live better then they do…im so sad that the world is coming about..my apt. is okay..but that prison is much better..what are they gaining there? People like are losers: thieves, killers and rapist live in a high life better than I DO!!! What gives???

19. debt 500 says:

Today, while Ι was at work, my sister stole my iPad and
    tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube
    sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off toρiс but ӏ
    had to shɑгe it witɦ someone!

20. Buster says:

A professional contractor will charge sales tax reports provide filed.
    That is simply a precautionary measure designed to deal with
    it for $9, 263. When a crew to do the job at work doing full scale?
    If you want an alternate payment method. Find a Good Waterproofing
    ContractorSince good WCs are hard at work and that you
    might deal with existing contractors or contractor?

Here is my webpage: webpage (Buster)

21. Wow thazt was unusual. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my coment didn’t show
    up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow,
    just wanted to say superb blog!

Here iss my homepage: hair growth pills